Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rain and Rainbows

The last couple of weeks have been great. We have been learning about Weather. Last week we talked about the letter U. We made this cute umbrella art project.


There was a lot of glitter in the house, but the kids had a great time making this out of pipe cleaners, cupcake papers and cotton balls.

On Thursday we talked about the letter V. We made such a yummy Vegetable Pizza. It was super easy to make. You roll out a pizza crust and then bake for 5 to 7 minutes. The sauce is made out of 1 cup of Sour Cream, 1 package of cream cheese, and then a packet of ranch dressing. It was super delicious! Then top with your favorite Veggies. Most the kids loved cucumbers and carrots, a few liked cauliflower, and nobody put on green and red peppers, except for me of course. You should try it at home, it is one of my favorites for a snack now. We also played I Spy with my Little Eye to learn about one of our 5 senses of seeing.

This week we learned about rainbows. The timing was perfect since St. Patrick's day is right around the corner and we could talk about Leprechauns and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Here is our art project we made.

This little girl helped me a ton! Those rings took forever to make and glue on. She finished so quick and helped the other kids. This was a project I made with my 2nd graders. I was SO IMPRESSED that they were able to make it so well.

For our 5 senses we talked about Taste today. They got to come up one at a time and be blindfolded and then describe the food they were tasting. The best was when someone described a marshmallow as crunchy! I couldn't help but laugh. We also made our own rainbow. All you need is a clear bowl, I used a pampered chef mixing bowl. You shine your flashlight at different angles and it bends the light into a rainbow on your ceiling. It works best with a dark room, but the kids were still able to see it. Did you know that rainbows are really circles? They just look like an arc because they are cut off by the horizon. It was pretty cool to see a circle rainbow on the ceiling.

For cooking we made rainbow toast! I was so excited to do this, I couldn't even sleep the night before. It looked so good when it was done and the kids loved it. All you do is dye milk the colors of the rainbow. Paint it on to your bread. Toast in toaster. Top with favorite toppings! Ours included: Cinnamon sugar, honey, and jam! You should make it some time, it was so much fun.



I can't wait for next week for a leprechaun to hopefully visit us and to go on our field trip to the Bean Museum.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Super cute ideas! I found your blog through super healthy kids and will be checking back for great ideas to do with my kids... :)

angee said...

Julie, I left a comment over at Amy's blog, but thought I'd leave one here, as well! So cute! Love the toast! :)

Angee Duvall :)

Christy Killoran said...

I am definitely making that toast for my children soon! I'll link back to you if I post it! Fantastic!

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates